How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34135
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I would like to give my child my name and my husbands name

Customer Question

I would like to give my child my name and my husbands name as a double barrel ( I didn't take his name). Do I have any legal right to this or will the child take only his name if he chooses such?
Many thanks for your advice
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Has the baby been born?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No due April - I would like him to take both names not just my husbands - there are no other children in my extended family and the name will die out
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Then that is fine - you can Register the baby in this way if you wish.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If my husband does not agree do I have a legal right to impose this ?
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

It is matter of who registers the child - if you do it first then it is your choice that stands

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
if we attend together ? Can I impose this if he disagrees?
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Neither of you has more right and the Registrar is likely to suggest that you go away and decide what you want between you

Related Family Law Questions