13262538

Morning.i have 2 daughters from a previous relationship,

Morning.i have 2 daughters from a previous relationship, though we never married. I am now in a great relationship and am getting married next July. We have 5 daughters between us and have lived together since March 2013.
My partner would like to have parental relationship for my 2 daughters but my daughters father has refused to allow this to happen. No reason given.
Can we still apply through the courts ?
Becky
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry I meant parental responsibility
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-How old are the the two children?

-Is the biological father on their birth certificates?

-Why does your partner seek PR?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Harris1. 12 & 9 two girls.2. Yes he is.3. Because we are s family and the two girls spend the vast majority of their time with us and should something happen one of the girls and they're with my fiancée then we are concerned that he may not be able to act in their interests.4. The two girls have also asked for it to happen along with changing their surnames when we get married.
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. As the father is refusing to agree to this your partner should consider applying to court for a parental responsibility order using Form C1 and a £215 court fee to your local family court. The father must be served with the application and he has a right to object to it and the court will make a decision that is in the children's best interests.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 35 years.

Your partner will have a greater chance of success if he applies for a step-parental responsibility order after your marriage.

The other option is to apply for a Child Arrangement Order stating that the child lives with you and your partner - this will give him a form of PR.

Both are applied for using a form C100 (not a C1)

The Step Parental Responsibility Order has more chance of success.

It is highly unlikely that the change of name will be agreed by the court - unless their current name is ***** ***** of their biological father

Please ask if you need further details

Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years