13262538

I live with my partner of more than 30 years we got two

Customer Question

I live with my partner of more than 30 years we got two grown up children together but he have a son from a previous relationship ,we move in this house together.my name is ***** ***** the mortgage or the deeds when we move I was not working I was at home looking after the children.
For the last twenty years I have been working and paying my way in contributing.
how do I stand in this situation?
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Are you separating?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No we are not but I think he wants to go and spend time in is native country while I stay here . in a resent conversation he mention that he can go and get marry and I can be out of my home because I have no legal rights.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Did he ever promise that he would share the property with you - that you had an equal share?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he did when we first moved in
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

What financial contribution have you made over the years?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
pays the utility bill,the weekly shopping, water bill, telephone, and local council tax.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Did you pay for any alterations or improvements to the property?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Are you aware that the court charges more for a phone call?

Did he say anything about the house in front of anyone else?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not sure how to answer this but he have mentioned the house in front of both of our children in arguments saying such things as I don'the have any rights to the house.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry - I meant did he ever promise you a share of the house in front of anyone else

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No not in front of anyone
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Ok

Last question

Dod you do any labouring work on improvements or alterations to the property?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I make the
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Deco
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do the decorating, Gardening and general maintenance of the home.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

i am afraid that your partner has been very clever in his behaviour and has ensured that you have very few rights.

The only small chance you have is the argument that you understood that the house would belong to both of you, but I will be honest and say that

there would be little chance of success if you do separate.

However if he dies whilst you are still together then you will be able to make a claim through the court for at least half of the equity if not more

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you it was a great help.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

You are welcome - I just wish the news was better