Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I bought a house and paid deposit 4 years ago, mortgage is

Hello I bought a house and paid deposit 4 years ago , mortgage is in my name , my boyfriend moved in 2 years ago and paid some money each month towards rent and bills , we have split up , does he have any right to my property / equity , thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm:

-Is there a deed of trust or agreement in place regarding his contributions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No , there is nothing in writing , he has bought a few bits an lad bobs paint /blinds garden things for which I have offered money
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. In the circumstances, unless he can demonstrate that there was an intention between you that he would be compensated or his contributions would create a share for him he would not be entitled to anything due to you not being married and the property being in your sole name.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks , one final question , how would he demonstrate this for example , there is lots of information on the internet around if he has lived there for 6 months he has a right to equity in the house ?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

No, to be clear in England and Wales the law is that unless there is a formal agreement, deed of trust or any other way to demonstrate intention (eg. emails or letters confirming this) then he would not be entitled no matter how long he has lived there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

No worries, I hope it goes well. If you have any questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris