Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

If my children are grown up but my ex has only just come

If my children are grown up but my ex has only just come back to this country having gone 12 years paying no maintenance is there any way I can now get him to pay?
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Was there a child maintenance application or decision, or a formal court order previously, which he has not complied with?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No it was all ridiculously loose as we were abroad at the time. He agreed to pay which he did for two months. At the time the children were 10 and 7. They had sporadic visitation and then we moved back to the UK three years later. They only saw him once after that and we have had no contact since. This was over 25 years ago so I do realise it is a long shot. That said we struggled and now I know he is back I feel we should do something
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. Unfortunately the news is not good. Legally he would not have any enforceable liability for child maintenance unless there is a formal child maintenance decision or a court order which he has not complied with.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for but if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.