13262538

If I have a signed agreement with my ex about child custody

Hi. If I have a signed agreement with my ex about child custody (e.g. kids share their time 50/50) is that legally binding? Or to be legally binding would it need to be a court order? Thanks, Ian
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

To be enforceable it would have to be a Court Order I am afraid

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Clare. Would that still be so if it was an agreement drawn up between solicitors and signed? Or wouldn't that make any difference?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if my ex didn't return the kids at the time stated in the signed agreement, would the police be able to make her? Thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

i am afraid that the fact that solicitors were involved makes no difference and no the Police cannot force her to return the children

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. I think she'll stick to it, but I really want peace of mind. So if we're both agreed can we get our agreement made into a court order? A colleague told me about 'consent orders' but I don't know what this means: online search about 'consent orders' they are about money, which doesn't apply in our case.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is it possible to get a consent order about child custody? Thanks.
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

Yes it is possible if you go via a Family mediator

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK. Thanks for your help. I'll get in touch with a family mediator and hopefully they can sort that out for me.