13262538

I have a question .I used to pay my ex wife maintenance for

Customer Question

Hi I have a question .I used to pay my ex wife maintenance for my daughter 350.00 pcm.my daughter no longer lives with her mother and has moved in with her grandmother and I am being taken to child maintenance by her grandmother .! ...do I have to pay the full maintenance amount or does my ex wife now have to pay half maintenance as my daughter no longer lives with her parents?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have been paying maintenance to the mother of my child for 12 years she is now 17 in October 28th .my maintenance stopped because my ex wife didn't inform the csa 16 months ago that she was no longer living with her . I reported this to the csa and they sent me a letter saying I was no longer to pay maintenance as the child did not live with the parent ....so how can it be now that her grandmother can open a new case with the cma and be awarded 20% of my salary and my ex wife pays nothing towards the child ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My daughter was living with her boyfriend for the past 12 months ...and has now decided to allegedly move in with her grandmother ...this seems.so unfair ! I just need to know if I have a good case to cease payments or at least ensure that my ex is taken into the equasion when the maintenance is worked out ?
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Is your daughter studying A-levels or on a government approved training course?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I believe she is doing an arts and crafts course at a local college .but she was kicked out of school when she was fifteen so didn't attend school
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am in the process of contacting the college to confirm what course it is ....but they aren't being very helpfully?
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. If she is on a government approved training course you will be liable for child maintenance to the grandmother as she resides with her. This is based on your gross income as you will be aware.

You have no liability to provide the mother any child maintenance and if your daughter is not on a government approved training course your child maintenance liability will end.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 35 years.

To answer your actual question - the Grand mother can in fact claim against both parents if she so wishes and you would each have to pay the full amount.