Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

My wife and i are separating. We have twin boys of 15 which

Customer Question

My wife and i are separating. We have twin boys of 15 which she had from a previous relationship. I am the main wage earner. Do i have an obligation to fund an alternative house for her?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How long have you lived together?

How much is the house wirth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,We have lived together for 8 years and have lived in rented accommodation for 2.5 years
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

What income do you each have and does the biological father of the children pay maintenance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm employed, receiving a salary of £30k. She is self employed and such doesn't receive much in the way of regular income. The biological father apparently pays maintenance but that can sometimes be on an Adhoc basis.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

What has she asked for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has stated that it's my responsibility to ensure that she and the twins are housed in alternative accommodation I.e. I pay for it.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

How much is the rent on a two bedroom property in the same school area?

Are there any capital assets at all?