13262538

I have a 3 and 5 year old. I am self employed and am

Customer Question

I have a 3 and 5 year old. I am self employed and am available everyday to drop the girls off at school/nursery and all after school activities. My ex works full time in an office and so has never done this side of things. He is a good dad but now we are separating he is being difficult and wants the girls on a complete 50:50 split. He said he would rather have his mother (who has not seen them in 2 years and who he doesn't even answer the phone to or see) to pick them up and drop them places if he is at work. Surely they should be with me and then when he finishes work he can then have them. Being so young I would want them to stay in the family home for it to be stable, they have their own rooms here, I will still be here and I support them financially anyway. Nick wouldn't have a stable place to go and is considering a house share with a colleague the girls have never met.
Expert:  Clare replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

The law says that children should have a close relationship with both parents - and the courts will enforce that - but there is no requirement for care to be shared 50/50 between parents

You are correct - the primary need of young children is for stability and security and the arrangement your ex is proposing gives them neither.

An offer of alternate weekends (assuming he has suitable accommodation) plus one or two evenings in the week and up to half of the school holidays would be reasonable at this stage.

You may find this website useful

http://theparentconnection.org.uk/

Please ask if you need further details