13262538

My mother currently lives in a house that we jointly own.

Customer Question

My mother currently lives in a house that we jointly own. She is very elderly and incrasingly frail - if she needs to go into a care home at some point, could we be forced to sell this property to cover the cost of care? If so, is there a way this can be avoided? Thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

If you are a joint owner of the property and you live there with her then no you cannot be forced to sell the property if she needs to go into a Care Home

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't live there with her, I live elsewhere with my husband. However we do need to spend some time with her her for work reasons
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't live with her, but need to spend some time with her due to the nature of my job. This means that my husband and I probably spend in all about two months at the house.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can we avoid the need to sellthe house? If so, how?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Am not sure if this conversation is conitnuing?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Have now been waiting for an hour. No message/ no indication of what's happening. Assume a problem with your system? Please refund my £26 as have received no satisfactory answer. Many thanks.
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

My apologies I have been away from the computer

I am afraid that if you are not residing full time in the property then it will indeed have to be sold.

Unless you can move in permanently for the foreseeable future

I wish there was a way around this but there is not - despite the many and expensive options that are advertised.

However your share of the Proceeds of Sale are safe

Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could she sign the house over to me?
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

It is too late for that I am afraid - the Local Authority will view it as deliberate deprivation of assets