Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Mum and dad made joint will now dad died does that will

Customer Question

Hi mum and dad made joint will now dad died does that will still stand?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

Hi, unless your parents made Mutual Wills (which means both of them agreed that they would not make a further Will, and which confirmation is clearly stated in the Wills), your Mother would be free to make a new Will at any stage now or in the future. I must say it is very uncommon for Mutual Wills to be made, but you would need to check the wording of the Wills yourself to see if they are Mutual Wills or not. I hope this assists and sets out the legal position. If I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am the beneficiary as stated in original will if both die does she have to make a new will now dad has died

Hi, thanks for your reply. It would be normal for Husband and Wife Wills to state that everything passes to each other, and then to the children on the second death. This appears to be the case with your parents Wills. So, your Mother certainly does NOT need to make a new Will, and whenever anything happens to her, all her Estate (and any monies/assets she may have inherited from your Father) will pass to you. I hope this clarifies the position. Kind Regards Al

Hi, can I assist you any further? Kind Regards Al

Hi, if I have answered your question, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. Cheers Al