Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

My ex husband wants to reduce my spousal Maintenance as I'm

Customer Question

Hello, My ex husband wants to reduce my spousal Maintenance as I'm now newly co habit with my new partner. My child maintenance is calculated on him having our 3 children 10 days a month and 50% of school holidays. he hasn't had them since 2015. so therefore i have them all the time. i use my spousal maintenance on the extra time i have the children.
can he reduce the spousal maintenance, if so can i apply to increase the child, for the extra time i have them?
thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

How old are the chidlren, what child maintenance does your ex pay and what is his gross income?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My children are 11,14,16 he pays £22,500 a year for them. the judge did comment this was light in view of what he earns.He works for a investment bank in the city and is a very high earner Goss in the region of £400,00K with bonus. My spousal maintenance was £25K a year but he just cut it by £3600 a year. As i said before he is meant to have the children and doesn't,my daughters have not seen him since Dec 2015. So i have the added finical costs of this. My current partner earns £35k a year and has a 7 year old daughter he pays maintenance for. My ex is now engaged, wedding next year.
He has reduced my money without going to court, if we go back can he further reduce due to co habitation ?
thank you for your help, I'm very worried, i do work part time on minimum wage.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Why has the overnight contact stopped?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After he took them on a short break, where he left them alone with his girlfriend for 5 hours, he came back very drunk and his girlfriend proceeded to get drunk whilst looking after the children. what followed was a argument between them, where she screamed I'm not here to babysit your kids.
i divorced him for being abusive and he still is verbally towards them, his also hit my oldest daughter, they are both receiving counselling.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

None of it easy for you.

Has he said he will stop your payments for spouse maintenance altogether?

When does the Order say the payments should stop?