How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3249
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My daughter purchased a sofa through a hire purchase

Customer Question

Good evening.
My daughter purchased a sofa through a hire purchase agreement. She was to be married and there was an agreement (verbal) that her parents-in-law would make the payments as a wedding present. Unfortunately her new husband committed adultery shortly after they were married and the marriage subsequently broke down. Her in-laws agreed to take possession of the sofa and continue payments.
To this effect they completed a Direct Debit Mandate and commenced payments. In November 2016 a payment was missed, refused by their bank. I wrote to them and they responded requesting a new mandate. The content of their letter shows their agreement to continue payments for the remaining term. The payment has just been refused by their bank, two attempts were made and both rejected - we have met the payment. I have again written to them requesting payments resume and also requesting they make good the deficit. I have no response to my letter of a fortnight ago. Another payment falls due this week.
Given I have possession of their correspondence intimating readiness to pay for the sofa of which they have possession and the fact they have previously competed Direct Debit Mandates to this effect can you please advise what legal recourse we now have.
Many thanks.
C Drummond
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I should add that payments did resume and continued until the direct debit was returned as unpaid in April, I should have made this clear.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello Jamie.
We just need some help as to how to proceed. We're not in a position to incur expensive costs nor is our daughter and we can ill afford to make payments particularly for something that isn't even in our possession. Obviously to avoid falling into arrears with Barclays Finance payments will have to be met.
What legal steps, if any, can we take bearing in mind we have had no response from the other party?
Is their letter a binding agreement?
C Drummond
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 days ago.

Who has the sofa?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The other party took possession of the sofa in June 2016 stating they would assume responsibility for payments
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 days ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund of the payments within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
You haven't actually answered my question. Can you please re-read my opening question, the questions you have put to me are already answered in that.
I wish to know whether the letter from the other party which I attached to my query constitutes a legal agreement and if so how may it be enforced?
Thank you
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

Sorry about that I was on the train. Yes it does. It can be enforced by completing a paper form rather than online. So it's still n1 and you submit it to court. In effect it's an order for performance.

Does that clairfy?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Kasare



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
< Previous | Next >
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK solicitor
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Glos solicitor's Avatar

    Glos solicitor

    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience in all areas of family law, now specialising in cases involving social services and children
  • Clare's Avatar


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
  • Harris's Avatar


    Family Law Expert

    Satisfied Customers:

    Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters