Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

My step-daughter is a litigant in person in the matter of

Customer Question

My step-daughter is a litigant in person in the matter of her divorce and I act as her McKenzie friend. She is the respondent in divorce and applicant in the matter of financial order. We attended Family Court today for the decree nisi, for the purpose of opposing the husband's application for the award of costs (he employs a solicitor). We had filed our rationale for opposing the making of such an order. The judge made an order awarding the husband costs - can we appeal this?
The judge seemed very ignorant of the case and initially thought that the husband was not seeking costs although a letter from his solicitor to the court and my step-daughter made this absolutely clear. The judge had clearly not read our rationale for opposing costs and every time my step-daughter attempted an explanation interrupted her by saying 'not relevant'.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Which Ground was used for the divorce and what was your argument regarding costs?