Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have separated from my girlfriend and mother of my 2

I have separated from my girlfriend and mother of my 2 children (3 & 7yrs old),
We didn't own a house together and I have just inherited £30,000 which I intend to use as a deposit on a house. My girlfriend is saying she is going to take me for half of the money or house I buy, can she do that?
I'm paying the amount of money calculated by the CSA although this is done through a private agreement.
Expert:  Harris replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm:

-Are you in England or Wales?

-What is her accommodation position?

-What are the arrangements for the children?

-What are your respective incomes and do you pay child maintenance?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
In England
She is in our rented family home current but will look for something smaller
The children are living with their mum as I work away mon-fri. I have them on a Saturday and will have them over night when I have accomadation sorted as with parents at the weeken.
I earn £40k ish depending on overtime. She earns about £15,00 and is applying for tax credits etc. I have agreed to pay the CSA recommended £500 per month for the children but this is a personal agreement and not through CSA at this stage. Until her tax credits etc are sorted then I'm paying the rent and bills.
Expert:  Harris replied 3 months ago.

Thank you. Firstly, she has no legal interest in your assets and so long as you continue to meet your child maintenance liability and she is able to house herself and your child she cannot claim any financial relief from you - this is because you are not married.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 2 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating. You will not be charged for providing a rating.