13262538

Dear Clare, At her 10th birthday sleepover, my daughter L

Customer Question

Dear Clare,
At her 10th birthday sleepover, my daughter L suggested she and her girlfriends look up Sex on the internet. She had just got a new laptop that day which didn't yet have parental controls set up. The next day a mother of one of the girsl complained and since hasn't spoken to me. L claims it was not her who did it, but the girl. I asked L if she had also looked at sex on her mobile phone and that I could find out if she had. She said she had and was sorry and terribly worried I would tell her father. You know the history which is why I am writing to you.Should I be worried? I am worried. I didn't want to ask the social worker who was involved as this could be innocent. I don't want L to feel she has done anything bad, I have just warned her of the dangers and said I won't tell her father for now. She has not asked to use her new laptop at all. i have made an appointment to see the school welfare officer. I am nervous about mentioning the history as I don't know if there is a clear link and I don't want to influence the welfare officer's opinion on whether there is anything to worry about. I don't know if this is normal behaviour. My mother's main concern is that something could still be happening with her Dad.Thank you
J
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

Hi again

Ah the joys of motherhood.

This is actually normal behaviour in this day and age - I was only listening to a programme about it on Radio 4 this morning

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Wow - fast response. That's good as I see the welfare officer tomorrow. I have not mentioned the nasty business of the past to the welfare officer. I will approach this by not mentioning the past at all and just asking her the same question as I have asked you - whether I should be worried. And no doubt she will give me the same answer as you. I can't cancel now and think I should still go ahead out of politeness, and mention what happened but not mention the past. I believe she is already aware as the little girl who told on L, and whose mother blanks me now, went to the same welfare officer because she was scared by L's behaviour at the sleepover. OK?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

It is best to go ahead simply because there was another child involved

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Right, OK, will do. Thank you and thank you so much for the fast response!
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

NO problem - I hope the meeting goes well