Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My husband left the family home on Sunday. He has been for

Customer Question

Hi my husband left the family home on Sunday.
He has been for the last 3 yrs the breadwinner. I have been a stay at home mum to 3 children currently aged 6 2 and 9 months.
I am aware of money's I am entitled to. But I'm unsure of the situation with the house.
He's paid the mortgage for the last 8 yrs but we are both on the mortgage. I havnt an income coming in. Do we have to sell? Little unsure as what us entailed. I would like if possible to stay in the family home with my 3 children.
Expert:  Harris replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:
-How old are you both?
-How long have you been married?
-What is the value of the property, and what is the outstanding mortgage?
-What other assets and pensions do you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?
-What are your respective incomes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
In answer to your questions in order
Me:31
Him:34
Married 4 years
64000 left on mortgage
Me: no pension
Him: yes Not sure of his value
Me: no income
Him: basic 39000Thankyou
Expert:  Harris replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for confirming. Given your circumstances and situation you had good grounds to seek financial relief arising out of the marriage, including remaining in the home for the benefit of the children.

As part of the divorce you will need to reach a financial settlement, initially this should be attempted through mediation - you can find independent mediators here: http://www.familymediationcouncil.org.uk If a settlement is agreed this can be submitted to court under a consent order (together with a D81 form outlining your respective financial positions).

If mediation does not progress you should then proceed with an application to court under Form A for financial relief once the divorce petition has been issued.

You will both need to provide each other with full and frank financial and income disclosure, as well as disclosure of your reasonable needs. The Court's starting point is a 50-50 split of all matrimonial assets and ensuring that both your needs are met in relation to both assets and income. It is likely that you may be entitled to a bigger division given you are a stay at home mother and you have grounds to seek to avoid the father being paid from the home until the children reach a certain age. For your information the criteria considered by the court in these matters is:

1. The income, earning capacity, property and other financial resources which each of the parties to the marriage has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future, including in the case of earning capacity any increase in that capacity which it would in the opinion of the court be reasonable to expect a party to the marriage to take steps to acquire;
2. The financial needs, obligations and responsibilities which each of the parties to the marriage has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future;
3. The standard of living enjoyed by the family before the breakdown of the marriage;
4. The age of each party to the marriage and the duration of the marriage;
5. Any physical or mental disability of either of the parties to the marriage;
6. The contributions which each of the parties has made or is likely in the foreseeable future to make to the welfare of the family, including any contribution by looking after the home or caring for the family;
7. The conduct of each of the parties, if that conduct is such that it would in the opinion of the court be inequitable to disregard it;
8. In the case of proceedings for divorce or nullity of marriage, the value to each of the parties to the marriage of any benefit which, by reason of the dissolution or annulment of the marriage, that party will lose the chance of acquiring.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 3 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating. You will not be charged for providing a rating.