Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My baby is 2 days old and I am no longer with the father. He

Customer Question

My baby is 2 days old and I am no longer with the father. He wants what I consider a lot of contact-3 evenings a week and a full day at the weekend. I am really worried about this and feel obliged/bullied into giving him what he wants. How much contact should he have given the baby is so young?
Expert:  Harris replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. The exact amount of time is not set in stone generally and would depend on the needs of the child in question. Given the baby is very young, it will depend on what his needs are, but unfortunately, a court will not deny a father fair and regular contact just because of the age, but will assess all factors and matters when deciding arrangements.

For your information the Court will take into consideration the following when making a decision regarding the application:

1. The wishes and feelings of the child concerned
2. The child’s physical, emotional and educational needs
3. The likely effect on the child if circumstances changed as a result of the courts decision
4. The child’s age, sex, backgrounds and any other characteristics which will be relevant to the court’s decision
5. Any harm the child has suffered or may be at risk of suffering
6. Capability of the child’s parents (or any other person the courts find relevant) at meeting the child’s needs
7. The powers available to the court in the given proceedings

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 5 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating. You will not be charged for providing a rating.