How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34581
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I've separated from my husband is January this year. I have

Customer Question

Hello. I've separated from my husband is January this year. I have decided to seek legal advice due to his constant harassment toward me and his lack of responsibility to his children. I have 3 children, a 5,6 and 2 year old. My eldest an youngest are both currently undergoing assessment for Autism diagnosis. Life with my eldest son I'd extremely draining on a daily basis. Their father dose not help with there care apart from the 4.5 hours a week and 2 overnight stay a month when he has them. I need help I just don't know where to start.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I need to know also what my chances are of legal aid as without this I won't be able to do anything.
Expert:  Clare replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

What would you like to know?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What are my options in regards ***** ***** times and dates for dad to have accesses to the children so that we both take an even share. At the moment dad has them very little so he dose all the fun stuff while I'm left doing all the hard work.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I cannot compromise with him, for the sake of my children and me I feel taking legal action will give everyone consistency, especially the kids.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you have any advice for me?
Expert:  Clare replied 5 months ago.

Do you mean can you force him to have the children more often?

Does he pay maintenance for the children

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's not about forcing the children on him, it's more about his responsibilities as their father.
Expert:  Clare replied 5 months ago.

Does he pay maintenance for the children

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 5 months ago.

Then sadly - assuming that he is paying at the correct rate - that is all that is required of him.

I agree that this is not sufficient - but unless he is willing step up and do his fair share he cannot be force to do so.

You can certainly try and discuss matters with him using Family mediation to see if you can make him realise that it woudl be good for the chidlren - and form him - if they spent more time with him - but if he does not agree then there is no other action you can take.

I am so very sorry

Please ask if you need further details