Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am in need of some advice. I currently reside with my two

Customer Question

Good Afternoon,
I am in need of some advice. I currently reside with my two children who have regular contact with their father. Every other weekend and school holidays are fixed weeks. He currently lives over 250 miles away from the children and takes them to his parents on the weekends he has them, they live 28 miles away from where I live. I have decided to make a move to roughly the same area of where the children's father resides and he will now be about an hour away driving time from them instead of 5 hours. can he stop me from moving? Am I ok to Move? He is telling me I do not have the right to move and also he will stop me.
Expert:  Harris replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. How old are the children and are there any court orders in place, if so what are the terms?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your response. The children are 6 and 8 years old. There is a court order and the terms are for contact every other weekend and set weeks over holiday periods.
Expert:  Harris replied 4 months ago.

Thanks. There is no restriction on you moving, however, if the father is named on their birth certificate he has parental responsibility and therefore you would need to consult him in terms of change of schools.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, thank you for your reply. I would inform him if school new address etc. But I can definitely move? Sorry to double check but I need to have my ducks in a row before I tell him! He is very controlling!
Expert:  Harris replied 4 months ago.

So long as there are no restriction orders on you moving from the area (which are fairly rare), then you will be entitled to move.

Expert:  Harris replied 4 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating. You will not be charged for providing a rating.

Expert:  Harris replied 4 months ago.