F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have been living with my partner for 6 years, she has

Customer Question

I have been living with my partner for 6 years, she has always paid half of the mortgage during that time. All living expenses have been split 50/50.
The house and mortgage are solely in my name.
We have now separated and I need to know what she could be entitled to as a settlement.
Fred.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 2 months ago.

Hello - there is no agreement as to how the house is owned?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The house is owned by myself, it's always been in my name as has the mortgage, this is not disputed. I think she would just like to have something after 6 yrs living together.

If she has paid half of the mortgage during that time, then she would be entitled to something out of the property and probably the fairest way of doing it would be to look at the value of the house and the equity in it 6 years ago and look at the value of the house and the equity in it now after deducting the mortgage as it was then and after deducting mortgage as it is now and give her 50% of the net growth.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you. If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES.