Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

You're up early! Assistant: Thank you. My question is

you're up early!
Assistant: Thank you.
Customer: My question is regarding legal fees in divorce.
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: we've had FDA
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
did you get the text of my full question?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am getting divorced; no fault; marriage has simply broken down.
Went to mediation, got close to an agreement, but no luck.
Now going through “proper” process and had first hearing (FDA?) last week.
W has spent £26k on legal fees so far. I have spent £500.
W tells me her fees must come out of our current savings, as she has no other money. (Neither do I!)
If the standard procedure is that each party picks up their own fees, as long as there is no litigation misconduct on my side, will the court ensure that I get my half of W’s legal expense back once she has funds?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Unfortunately this will unlikely be a possibility as legal fees will have to be paid somehow and the burden is on each party to fund their own legal fees and you are both entitled to use joint savings equally - and unless you can demonstrate that she has used the joint funds unreasonably or to prevent you claiming from the savings, it will be very difficult.

Although the £26k up to and including an FDA is very unreasonable especially if there have not been lengthy pre-proceeding negotiations and you can potentially seek to have her disclose why it has cost so much.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for but if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Expert:  Harris replied 1 month ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating. You will not be charged for providing a rating.