13262538

My separated wife died and her family made me sign a

My separated wife died and her family made me sign a document saying that I had not been involved in her daughters upbringing even though I had. This document had to be reviewed by a judge. What was this document. Regards
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you.

Please may I ask:

- how long ago was this document prepared?

- how old is your daughter?

- are you still spending time with your daughter?

- was the document prepared in divorce proceedings? children act proceedings?

- were there any orders made in respect of you spending time with your daughter?

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** was signed 5 years ago and my daughter was 28. I call her my daughter but my wife already had her when we met, she was 2 years old and I didn't adopt her as we didn't want the child support agency involved.To clarify, the document was signed Becouse when her mother died 5 years ago we were separated for about 30 years but not divorced and we wanted all the inheritance to go to her daughter even though I had a claim as we were still married.

Thank you for your response.

This sounds more like a wills issue then a family law issue for which I specialise.

I will opt out so that one of my colleagues who specialises in that area can assist.

kind regards

Caroline

Expert:  Clare replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

Do you still have a copy of the document?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks no I don't I am trying to find out what the document was as a judge had to agree to it, the longer reason is that she is about to be married and as I understand I can sign the register as if her father, I am worried that this document may have removed this possibility. Regards
Expert:  Clare replied 3 months ago.

No this will not have removed your right to do this if it is something that you both want - the only requirement is that you were married to her mother and she wishes you to do this

There is no document that you could sign that would remove this right

The document that you signed would have been related to the Inheritance Rights only and would be a Deed of Variation to allow the funds to go to your daughter rather than you

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years