How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34232
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Nearly 20 years ago I divorced and a court order was put in

Resolved Question:

Nearly 20 years ago I divorced and a court order was put in place covering my pension that my wife would receive 1/3.
There was a section stating if I remarried then my ex wife would still receive pension payments, but nothing covering if she remarried can the consent order be changed in order that I can cease payments to my ex wife?
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 28 days ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What is the exact wording of the order relating to the payments to your ex?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The consent order says that she would receive half of the lump sum plus 1/3 pension payment I recently contacted my pension provider asking if I could stop payment at first they stopped it saying it was earmarked but can back 3 months later saying it was not earmarked in the order then then advised me to get legal advice to change the court order?
Expert:  Clare replied 28 days ago.

I am afraid that I need the exact wording of the Order

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Please see attached
Expert:  Clare replied 28 days ago.

Thank you - just to check - your pension provider did stop the payments but have now re-instated them?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 28 days ago.

Also for clarity - your ex has remarried?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
7 years ago
Expert:  Clare replied 28 days ago.

Has the Lump Sum been paid to her?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 28 days ago.


last point - what was the date the Order was made?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 28 days ago.

This is indeed an earmarking order - sometimes also called a Pension attachment Order.

This was all that was available prior to 2000 and was replaced because the instalment payments could not survive the remarriage of the receiving spouse - although capital payments could.

As a starting point write to your pension provider pointing out that at the time the Order was made it was not possible for a Pension Sharing Order to be made and accordingly an earmarking order is the only thing this can be.

Also send a copy of the marriage certificate of your ex.

If they do not accept this then you willed to make a formal complaint to the Pensions Ombudsman

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you