ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

I just spoke to my children's social worker who informed me

Customer Question

I just spoke to my children's social worker who informed me that for contact between myself and my children to move from the community, I currently see the kids in the community not my home,she needs to conduct unannounced visits while the kids are not home. I will only be spending 6 hours every Saturday what would be the purpose of her visits when my children are not home and is this legal please ?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 25 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

Please may I ask:

- where are your children currently living?

- how long have they been there?

- what were the issues that brought the local authority to be involved with your children?

- are there any court orders in place?

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Hello Caroline
Thank you for your response .
In the shortest way possible these are the facts of my case ;
December 2012 - my now former partner left our home one morning,in Zimbabwe Africa,with our 3 children then, twin girls 5 years old and a boy 4 years old, on the pretext of taking them to pre school. Only he got on a plane with all 3 children without my knowledge and came to England.
This was on the 5th of December,on the 20th of the same month he surrendered all three children to local authorities,that's how the local authorities got involved.

Thank you for your response.

I am sorry to hear that.

Can you confirm what has been the position in the 5 years since? where are the children residing now? are you seeking to care for the children? are there any court orders?

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
BRIEF BACKGROUND
I met my ex partner, a Portuguese national who had lived most of his life in Africa,in 2006 , at the time he was married with 2 grown children and was based in South Africa.
I am a Zimbabwean Citizen and was based there at the time we met ,a single mother of one.
3 months after we met he rented a house in Zimbabwe and we started living together,such that l lived with him secretly in Zimbabwe and he lived with his family in South Africa too, until his wife found out and that led to separation and eventually divorce. We never married but went on to have 3 children together.

Thank you for your response.

I still need to know:

where are the children residing now?

are you seeking to care for the children?

are there any court orders?

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
RESIDENCY
In 2014 after a little over 2 years in foster care , My ex partner was granted residency on the basis that l was abusing alcohol (and l was) and they have been with him since and this has turned out to be the worst experience ever as things never progress due to how acrimonious our relationship is and this has had a very visible effect on the children in all areas of life .
In 2015 l got a court order as he had stopped me from seeing the children for spite and the Social Worker was not much help. Due to history of alcohol abuse at the time the order was for supervised contact in the community and at my flat and all seemed well until we had a civil agreement for my contact not to be supervised with a look at extending to sleepovers , at the time l agreed to assist financially with £300 towards the kids ( even though this hurt l did it anyway).
However this plan unraveled pretty quick .
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
They live 6 miles away from me here in Bedfordshire.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
l am looking into caring for my children very much
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Since 2015 l haven't returned to Court as Child services were involved and tried to resolve issues but this failed and in April this year the case was referred to Child protection team , went under review for 3 months and was referred back to Child in need team in August we have had 2 meetings at the children school since then .
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
At present l see the children every Saturday for 4 hours in the community (this is changing back to community and my home) .
As it so happened when the children were coming to my home for about 2 months one of them, was on my phone playing games and it so happened that a man asking me out sent a picture message of his privates and possibly a porn flic which my children saw and hence he didn't want them coming to my flat anymore,this has however been translated in so many ways and the most prominent one being that l am a prostitute , this is why the social worker wanted to do unannounced visits even in the absence of the children,l say "wanted to" as l spoke to the SW's supervisor who only thought the visits would be done when l have the children but ended up disclosing that because my ex had allegations of prostitution that maybe why her colleague had suggested that but will not be done and instead only be done when children are in my home .

Thank you for clarifying that for me.

The Local Authority appear to be assessing you to progress your time with your children so that this can progress to take place at your property.

It is vitalily important that you fully engage with them.

If the message on the phone was a mistake then you need to clarify this. You also need to make aure that you confirm the issues you have had with alcohol are in the past.

The unannouced visits when the kids are not at home are so that the contact can progress and to make sure that it would be safe to do so. From the position of the local authority it is better to assess the situation at your property whilst your children are not yet there so as to protect then from any possible risks rather than letting the children visit and then having to stop such visits as this could cause emotional harm.

Let me know if I can clarify anything for you.

Caroline

Positive feedback is gratefully received

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
You have been a great help as just clarifying what local authorities can or cannot do has always been difficult for me and l have always taken this rather personally and in many ways have acted in ways that have been damaging than constructive unintended.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I think the only question is are there any resources you can refer me to online or guidance you can give to me so l can write a position statement directly to the Child services Supervisor as there have been so many of them and each time the cycle of conflict repeats itself at this time l am working on resources to go back to Court but for a reasonable fair changes and until then need to maintain a good working relationship with local authorities.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 24 days ago.

Thank you for your response.

Please do accept my apologies for my delay in responding to you.

I fully appreciate that social services in this jurisdiction are quite different to those around the whole of the whole of the rest of the world but it really is better to work with them than against them.

You do have the write to complain and each different area will have a complaints manager that you can write to officially. Ask the social worker for the details as they have to provide this to you.

If you are seeking to amend an order for the children to spend time with you then this will be a private law application sent to local family court to your childrens home address. You have to attempt family mediation before yu can make such an application so you need to find your local mediator first to self refer.

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thank you very much you have been a great help , yes l agree things here are major different l will work on amending the court order as at this point l need something solid again .
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 23 days ago.

Glad I could help. If you happy with my service then please do remember to star rate positively. Your question will then remain open and I will be able to answer your follow up questions for free for you.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok thank you will.

thank you

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
You are welcome. I just thought l should throw this out there but if it's a big ask then l understand, l am in the process of writing a statement for the Child services Supervisor clarifying things , call it a position statement, would you go through it for me as l really want it to be fact based only not emotional, obviously for privacy and confidentiality details such as names of the children,their school etc l will not include?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 22 days ago.

Thank you for your response.

When you have finished if you upload it then I will be happy to read though this for you.

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Oh thank you so much !

your welcome :)

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hello l hope l find you well, just a quick question,my statement is to the new Supervisor in our case and the aim is to clarify the sexualised material my children saw, but at the same time clarify my position in all this inspite of the numerous times l have done so with all the Social Workers we have been involved with.
What l am not sure to do is to refer to different observations recorded by all the other Social workers before through the past 2 and half years since he got residency of the children which include but are not limited to parental alienation and interference with Contact between myself and the Children,it is cumbersome but l can prepare the document as precise and to the point .
I also thought a very brief history of events leading to my ex partner coming here (as parental conflict is a concern ). This is also because not only did my ex abuse me physically but when he put the children in Care he said he was running away from Domestic Violence! And Child Services didn’t understand why he would then send for me? And so the web of lies started and recently a Social Worker commented on record that it’s hard to tell what is the truth or lies in our case , so l wandered if l need to clarify this too because l am aware that the story Child services have is a far cry from reality.
My question is how can l do this without coming across as bitter (yet l know by doing this l would have cleared my conscience and be rid of the emotions that have made it difficult to come to terms with all of this -paving way for me to regroup and Work with Child Services)
So l guess the question is at this point what is relevant and what is not ?
At this point l feel my ex is using Child services to continue his emotional and mental abuse to me , at the same time he is also physically chastising the Children even after they had been subjected to a Child protection plan that was brought down to Child in Need in August.
From an emotional perspective when Child Services mentioned the unannounced visits because my ex alleges l am prostituting , in my mind l had a vision of my ex beating me up calling me names and accusing me of cheating on him, and my reaction towards the social worker was of anger but it was not her l was angry with, it was the flash back of that memory and all the other times he beat me ! This crossover of the past experiences has made me into someone so quick to anger and react to Social Workers in unhelpful ways.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
sorry I didn’t realise it was so long !
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for your response.

Please accept my apologies for my delay in responding to you.

If its a new social worker then I can see the sense of preparing a short history but I would keep this brief. I would sugest that you concentrate on the lat court order and the changes you have made since then and why your time with your children should progress.

Its best to try and keep things positive and child focussed, I know that the past likley hurts but it often only entrenches positions so try not to get too dragged down with that.

Its best to address any previous issues you have had with SS by stating facts as opposed ot what they recorded.

Whilst you ex might have referred back to SS - this is your chance to shine and show them there are no concerns no. They are independant to your ex and although they can speak to him they have their own professional opinion from their experience. Its best to tell them how you are worried about the fathers actions but how you will work them wholheartedly.

I hope that this helps.

kindest regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I really appreciate your taking the time to offer your advise.
Yes it’s a new team and I would have rambled on defeating the purpose.
I am currently in therapy so that has been a great help and l feel focused so l will endeavour to have more parental functionality in my children’s life because while l know he loves the children but is not capable of supporting them all round single handedly resulting in the abuse and the trauma doesn’t stop ,so l will do my best thank you. *****:l don’t expect prompt answers at all , thank you again.