Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I divorced from my wife several years ago 2003 we lived

Customer Question

Hi I divorced from my wife several years ago 2003 we lived apart and eventually went to court to formalise financial arrangements via an ancillary relief ruling in 2007. Part of the arrangement was that we go into a pension sharing arrangement where my wife is entitled to 40 percent of my pension. I was in a difficult position at the time and did not realise that I was responsible for putting in the paperwork to make this pension sharing arrangement happen. My ex wife has recently come to me asking for the paperwork pertaining to the pension sharing. When I did a bit of digging, I have found that I need to provide my company some information to make the pension sharing happen. I am working on getting the said information so I can provide to my company to effect the pension sharing. What I will like to understand is that the entitlement that my ex wife have cover just the period that we were married or does it cover my entire pension even after the period that we have no longer been married? Thanks for your help
Expert:  Harris replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. The pension sharing order will cover the percentage as ordered, and in respect of the full pension amount - which will be calculated by the pension company when the pension sharing order is served on them.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi can you be a bit more explicit bearing in mind that I do not have knowledge of this area hence asking an expert. Does full pension mean full pension whilst I was married to her or full pension for the period during our marriage and together with the rest of my working life which is about 20 years more when I am not married to her after the divorce? Grateful if you can explain. Your answer is a bit short without details so I am unable to give you a rating at this time.