Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I retired from the police service in 2005. I got married in

I retired from the police service in 2005. I got married in 2009, and did not know my wife throughout my police service. If we now divorced, is she legally entitled to a share of my monthly pension?
Expert:  Harris replied 2 months ago.

There are a few different options available when dealing with pensions in divorces.

1. Pension sharing - a percentage of your pension goes to your partner.

2. Pension offsetting - here your former spouse may be able to keep a certain asset whilst you keep your pension.

3. Pension attachment - This directs pension scheme trustees to make payments to former spouse from the date the member draws on the pension benefits.

I hope this assists you further. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you