Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I am married my wife and i have seperated. I left the home

Customer Question

Hi.. i am married my wife and i have seperated. I left the home temporaily. There are no children livi g at the marital home. The mortage is in my wifes name. I have home rights with land registary. I need to move back in to the marital home. My wife is refusing and says she has changed the locks. I have a key from the original locks. Am i allowed to move back in.
Expert:  Clare replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for your question
My name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first
Have you started divorce proceedings?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No not as yet we seperated in june
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
We only seperated in june no divorce proceddings as yet
Expert:  Clare replied 18 days ago.
What is your current housing position?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I am sleeping at a frei ds house a few nights a week the rest of the time at work.
Expert:  Clare replied 18 days ago.
If your key works then you are entitled to return to the property.
Unfortunately as you are not a joint owner you will not be able to break in if the key does not work
In that case your only option is to apply to the court for an Occupation Order allowing you to return to the property
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details