13262538

I would like to know about my parental rights as a father

Customer Question

Hi I would like to know about my parental rights as a father who is no longer with the mother? I seem to be getting issues with seeing my son. The mother refuses to pick my calls, she hangs up on me. She suggested that I buy a phone to communicate with my son but every time I call the phone is off. When I try to communicated with her , like I said she just hangs up. Sometimes it goes months on end before I see my son and this situation is getting to me. I have left the situation because I don't want to get into trouble. My name is ***** ***** birth paper and we were together for the first four years of my son life. My son was born here in the UK and is mother and have been living here illegally for the past 11 years but we have since apply for residence earlier this year. I am tired of her keeping my son away. Is there anything I can do to make her give me visitation rights. Please I need to do something, any advice?
Expert:  Clare replied 21 days ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How old is your son?

How often do you actually see him?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
My son is 11 years old and last time I saw him was two months ago. Before that 4 months ago and before that like once 1 every month or so.
Expert:  Clare replied 19 days ago.

The law says that a child is entitled to a close relationship with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary.

The starting point is for you to attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting with a local family mediator

www.familymediationcouncil.org.uk

If that fails then you can apply to the court using a form C100 and paying the fee of £215 for an Order setting out the time that the child spends with you

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details