13262538

I want to find out about acquiring parental responsibility

Customer Question

I want to find out about acquiring parental responsibility before the birth of our child. We are not married (yet) and my partner is very worried that should there be any complications and she is sick during the birth I won't be able to take the child home. An extreme worry I am sure, but is there anything we can do in advance to avoid this? I know I will get PR once the birth is registered, but is there such a thing as a pre birth shared PR agreement which would put my partners concerns at rest? And does that need a lawyer to draft?
Expert:  Clare replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

I am afraid that there is no legal action that can be taken prior to the birth of the child as you have no rights at all until the child is born.

In general terms there would be no cause for concern as a DNA test would confirm that you were the father and this would be sufficient for you to obtain a parental Responsibility from the courts.

However to reassure your partner she can write a letter confirming that you are the biological father of her child and she wishes you to have the care of the child in the event that anything happens to her

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details