13262538

My husband and I hade a joint life insurance policy, we

Customer Question

My husband and I hade a joint life insurance policy , we divorced in 2008 but neither of us changed the beneficiary on the policy. He has recently passed away without a will. The probate solicitor has got the claims form from the j Duran r company and is asking me to sign the proceeds over even though I am listed as the claimant and some beneficiary - is this correct or am I entitled to it given it was a joint policy that we both paid I to? The policy was not part of our divorce settlement
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
To be clear I am listed as the only beneficiary in case of his death ( and he was listed as my only beneficiary) - sorry my typing isn’t great!
Expert:  Clare replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

If the policy was not dealt with within the divorce then you are correct - the money belongs to you

It is up to you if you wish to sign it over to his estate or not

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details