Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My husband would like to leave me half the value of the

Customer Question

My husband would like to leave me half the value of the house upon his death, if I survive him. However, he has 3 stepsons & their names are ***** ***** deeds of the property. How do I ensure that they follow his wishes after his death?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 13 days ago.

Hi, it is not so much making sure that his children follow their father's wishes, it is more you must make sure that your husband does indeed leave half of the property to you.

In order for this to happen, he must own his property with his children as "Tenants in Common" meaning that each owner can leave their respective share in the property to whoever they nominate in their Will. So, provided this is done and your husband owns a 50% share, and he also leaves this share to you in his Will, you will automatically receive this 50% if anything happens to him, and his children will not be able to do anything to contest this.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer in the top right hand corner of your screen. Thanks. Kind Regards Al

Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 11 days ago.

Hi Kate, can I assist you any further? Kind Regards Al