13262538

My son was in s relationship in which he took her kids on as

Customer Question

My son was in s relationship in which he took her kids on as his own the yougest was 18mouths and only knows him as her dad and calls him dad as she does not know any different the relationship has ended and his ex partner is using his daughter as blackmail and says he can not see her as he not her real dad but has been her dad for the past 5 half years where does he stand legally with this he never adopted her but her name was changed to his
Expert:  Clare replied 27 days ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

Since he is not the biological father your son has no automatic rights I am afraid.

However since he has clearly had a close relationship with the child he can ask the courts for permission to apply for a Child arrangement Order - and it is likely that the cOurt will agree that it is in the best interests of this child for the contact to take place

The starting point is for him to attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting with a local family mediator - and if mediation is not suitable he can apply to the courts using a form C100

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details