13262538

My son and daughter-in-law (in their early 40s, married 17

My son and daughter-in-law (in their early 40s, married 17 years) separated 3 months ago and have remained civil/amicable. My son has been living with us and they have agreed that our 2 grandsons (11 and 14) can spend some time with each parent. They had been aiming to separate for 2 years and then divorce by mutual consent to avoid high legal fees. There's no marital infidelity involved. My daughter-in-law now wants to speed divorce up (so that she has clearer knowledge of her future finances) and would like to cite my son's past financial mismanagement in her Petition. She would like my son to consent to this, saying that it would have no adverse implications for when he seeks a mortgage to buy his own house, or seeks loans if he consents. I need to know if that is true, please.
Expert:  Clare replied 27 days ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

The Petition is only seen by the parties and the court so it has no impact on the financial standing of your son.

However the accusations that are made do not have to be extreme so

"The respondent was irresponsible with the family money and failed to discuss the financial issues with the petitioner causing her great anxiety"

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** are the elements which would go into a resultant uncontested (by my son as Respondent) Divorce settlement following an acceptably-worded Petition by my daughter-in-law, please? I've assumed property (she would retain the house but my son put some money into it), custody of - and access to - the grandsons, pension pots, and any other joint assets? I don't want details but just to know that we've identified the subject areas that then have to be expanded in detail. Thank you.