ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

My husband and I have been living separately for the last

Customer Question

My husband and I have been living separately for the last year due to his anger issues.We have 3 children that I look after.He has just announced that he is having a child with someone else.He supports us financially by putting money in when I ask but has always refused to have a standing order or any official arrangement.He says I can have the house,but I am not sure he means it.Things are so bad between us now.I want a divorce asap but I don't have the money for a solicitor,what can I do?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 25 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

Legal aid is only available when you can get domestic violence evidence and you qualify in relation to your income and assets.

If your husband has not been charged with any offence then I suggest that you take this letter to your GP and ask them to refer you to a domestic violence service. This will then count as your domestic violence evidence for 5 years.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/referrals-to-specialist-domestic-violence-support-services-health-professionals

Once the letter has been completed take it to a local family legal aid solicitor to you and ask them for a free legal help asessment.

If you qualify they will be able to help you in relation to divorce, finances and children.

This link will give you an idea if you qulaify in respect of means:

https://www.gov.uk/check-legal-aid

If your husband doe stip supporting you then I suggest that you issue divorce proceedings asap then you can ask the court for interim maintenance by way of order. This can be enforced if he does not pay.

In relaity if you have been married over 5 years then the starting point for the division of all assets is equality. The court considers certain factors in deciding whether to depart from equality. If you earn less than your husband and will be the main carer for your children then you need to be seeking a alrger share of all the assets circa 10 -20% more. If there is not enough equity in your home to downsize and rehome yourself and the children then a court will likely order that the house not be sold and your husbands equity realised until your youngest is 18.

kind regards

Caroline

Please kindly remember to rate positivley so that credit is received for helping you today

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I have no income and his abuse was 99% verbal or breaking things,threats etc.

Bless you. I am sorry to hear what you have been going through. Verbal abuse can be worse. Make sure you get support. Try this service as well: https://www.refuge.org.uk/

Let me know if I can help you further

kindest regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thankyou,you have been most helpful.

I wish you all the best x