13262538

I've been divorced for 3 years now and was a very civil

Hi ,I've been divorced for 3 years now and was a very civil Devorced,my 14 year old son stays with me everyother weekend and every Wednesday a Thursday night.we have a good relationship and this set up has been from the start.in 2004 I stopped drinking because I was becoming dependant on it as I was very unhappy in both work and marriage. Only drank in the evenings.never was I a danger or have any drink related violent offenses. Since Devorced I have now a girlfriend and am very happy!,I now drink occasionally and have no problem with it.my exwife has found out that I now drink and has told me that if I am to have my son for the time that we agreed she a letter from me saying that I'm not to drink whilst he's in my career and if I don't supply this letter then she will stop hi. From seeing me !,he's seen me have a drink for the past year and has never said that he has a problem with it .can she do this?? .I'm being quite normal,I believe. Very controlling I think.
Please let me know where I stand and if she did try and stop him from seeing me,what's the implications for her?
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Clare replied 27 days ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Were there any violent incidents in the period when you were dependent?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
No
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Someone told her they'd see me out on a night out with her step brother and thought I'd looked drunk !
Expert:  Clare replied 27 days ago.

The law says that a child is entitled to have a close relationship with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary

Unless the child is unsafe in your care then your ex has no right to dictate what time you spend with your son - nor to create arbitrary rules.

At 14 your son is old enough to keep himself safe if you were in no fit state to care for him (which I am sure would never be the case)

If the matter did go to court then the wishes of your son would be seen as decisive (unless your ex can produce evidence that your drinking makes you a risk)

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you for your help .for the record,my sons 15!,I made a typing error. Which I guess,strengthens my case .!
Thanks again .
Expert:  Clare replied 27 days ago.

Absolutely - at 16 it is entirely his decision and the closer he gets to that age the less likely the court is to not follow his wishes