13262538

I have been married for 6 years and living with my wife for

I have been married for 6 years and living with my wife for 11 years in her house. The house is in my wife's name only, but we have been paying the mortgage from our joint account.The house is worth £115,000 and I would like to pay off the remaining mortgage of £65,000 with my personal savings from the sale of my previous house.In the event of a breakup I want to ensure I get half the value of our house so that I'm not left with nothing. Do I need my name on the deeds or any paperwork to prove my contribution towards the property or would a divorce process just sort it all out fairly? I would prefer not to go through any expensive procedures unless really necessary. Also it's not nice to have to explain to my wife I want to protect myself in case we divorce in the future.
Expert:  Clare replied 26 days ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

You do not have to have your name of the deeds as the family court can distribute assets in any way that it considers fair no matter who owns it!

However if you are paying off the mortgage it does seem both reasonable and right for the property to be transferred into joint names!

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details