13262538

I am going through a divorce and it's been going on for over

I am going through a divorce and it's been going on for over a year about 15 months . I have two daughters aged seven and two which both are happy living with me. The mother have changed her mind now and looking to take them away from me. Can she do that??? She has no accommodation as she is renting a room in a shared flat and work part time and study part time. Do you think that if I go to court will the judge keep them with me?? Kindly advice
Expert:  Clare replied 27 days ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

When did your ex move out and what contact has she had since then?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
14 months ago , she was seeing them twice a week but never helped in anyway with the home work, feeding , bathing or anything apart from from playtime but since she put a solicitor a month ago she is seeing them 4 times a week
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Lots of people advising me to contact group called justice for fathers, as they would recommend a good solicitor for such a case . Do you recommend such a thing ??? Which shall I do as the girls would like to stay with me
Expert:  Clare replied 27 days ago.

You have no need to go that far - a local family lawyer from the list available here

http://www.resolution.org.uk/memberSearch.asp?page_id=52

will be fine

The court is not gender biased - but it does favour the Status quo - and in your case (unusually) that involves the children living with you. That gives you a strong case and means that the worst case scenario is shared care when your ex obtains a suitable property.

Shared care simply means the children spending some night with their mother and the rest with you

What you need to do is to stay calm and carry on being the great dad that you clearly are

You do not need an aggressive lawyer - you need an experienced one who can capitalise on the fact that you provide the security and stability which the children are entitled to

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you for your swift answer. But she can’t afford a place as she is on a very low income, do you think the housing benefit will help her so she can take the girls
Expert:  Clare replied 27 days ago.

She will certainly be entitled to housing benefit if she has some form of shared care order