Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

If I own half a house can I ask for rent if my expartner

Hi if I own half a house can I ask for rent if my expartner move someone in ????
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 23 days ago.

Are you living there as well?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No I have moved in with my mum, we were together 20 years I have two girls jade is 18 & Charlotte is 15, we have no mortgage & she is moving another man in only after a month

If you both own the property then you both are entitled to access the property. The fact that you are not occupying your 'half' of the property and they are occupying all of the property does technically allow you to advance a claim for an element of rent. It would not of course be a full rent but you would be able to make a claim. I would set it out in writing to your ex.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
If she has moved someone else in can I ask her to sell or buy me put ?????

Yes. There is absolutely nothing to stop you from inviting her either to buy you out or to sell the property.

Justanswer works on people giving ratings. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you