Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial Advisor
Experience:  Attorney and Financial Expert. Have specialization in Financial Laws.Practice experience of over 13 years
43581946

Hi Before I moved into my, soon to be ex, boyfriends house

Customer Question

Before I moved into my, soon to be ex, boyfriends house we agreed on what 'rent' I would pay and that I would pay half of all bills. In the four years I've lived with him I have always paid on time, or even early when he's been struggling. Two months after I moved in he insisted on a £500 'deposit'. I can't remeber the reason why or the threats he made to me if I didn't pay it. He even stood over me whilst I transferred the money into his account. I have mentioned I'm not happy and if things don't change will be moving out - he has told me I have to give him 30 days notice or I won't get my 'deposit' back. Can he do this? We don't have a formal tenancy/ rent agreement.

My other query is with regard to a loan of £8000 I made to him last January. He hasn't worked a day since I moved in and was in a financial mess so I offered him a no interest loan. He paid back £3800 but then decided as he did most of the work around the house I needed to pay him for his time and won't pay me another penny off the loan. I've never agreed to paying him for his time. What can I do to get the rest of my money back?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 3 years ago.

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

I feel so sorry to hear about the mess. However, I am afraid you might have to take some tough decisions as well.

To begin with, from what I can make out from your question, you do not have any written agreement regarding the loan that you have made out to him. Also, leaving some financials matters apart, I also see your friend has resorted to some intimidation as well.

In this case, I feel you have two options here. To begin with, I would advice you seeking local legal opinion to file a criminal complaint against him for intimidating you. You can also approach small claims court to recover your money.

The following is for your general reference:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/law_e/law_legal_system_e/law_taking_legal_action_e/small_claims.htm

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/when-should-i-use-the-small-claims-court-

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards