Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial Advisor
Experience:  Attorney and Financial Expert. Have specialization in Financial Laws.Practice experience of over 13 years
43581946

I started receiving my final salary based pension about 9 years

I started receiving my final salary based pension about 9 years ago. I was told by the pension fund administrator that it has a "pension pot value of about £1.0 m. When I started receiving the pension, it was about £30K per annum, which I calculate that it would be valued at about a pension pot of £600K. What pension pot value will be given to my final salary pot by HMRC? Will they have now recorded a value and should I obtain confirmation from them?
In addition to that, I have a private pension pot of about £200K, which I have not yet drawn. As the total value was close to £1.25 m and I had no intention of contributing further, I applied for the Fixed Protection 2014 of £1.5 M.
On basis that the pension already being drawn is valued at £1.0 million, if the not yet used pension pot increases in value, must I start taking it before it reaches £0.5m?
I understand that there is also Individual protection 2014. I do not know much about it and should I do anything?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 2 years ago.
Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

To begin with, if you are unsure as to how your pension pot is calculated, you must certainly seek directions / clarifications from them. I am sure you would be helped.

Further, talking about Individual Protection 2014, if I quote HMRC,

" available when the lifetime allowance is reduced to £1.25 million for 2014-15. Individual protection 2014 will operate from 6 April 2014, for those with pension savings valued at over £1.25 million on 5 April 2014.

Individual protection 2014 will give a protected lifetime allowance equal to the value of your pension rights on 5 April 2014 - up to an overall maximum of £1.5 million. You will not lose individual protection 2014 by making further savings in to your pension scheme but any pension savings in excess of your protected lifetime allowance will be subject to a lifetime allowance charge.

You'll be able to apply for individual protection 2014 from 18 August 2014. Your application must be received by HMRC no later than 5 April 2017.

You can hold both fixed protection 2014 and individual protection 2014.You can also hold individual protection while holding either enhanced protection or fixed protection but you can't apply for individual protection if you already hold primary protection.

For more information on individual protection 2014 follow the links below...."

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/tools/lifetimeallowance/index.htm

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pensionschemes/ip14online.htm

You can also download a PDF document which would be a good reference to you over and above this.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/347961/140821_published_standalone_v4.pdf

Having said this, yes, you can consider taking the pension out before the pot value increases to 1.5 Million.

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards,