Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial Advisor
Experience:  Attorney and Financial Expert. Have specialization in Financial Laws.Practice experience of over 13 years
43581946

I want to know what pension rights my wife can have in the

I want to know what pension rights my wife can have in the future from DWP. She has had an “indefinite leave to stay” stamp in her Guatemalan passport since 1997, when we returned to the UK after being abroad since 1988. She has understood she can enjoy this entitlement as my wife.
She has worked in the UK since about 2002 as an employed legal assistant and still works today. She pays taxes and National Insurance as any PAYE contributor does. She has never really needed to become a British National, but will be taking that step within a year hopefully. We want to know if her historic contributions to National Insurance can be counted pro-rata to form the basis of a partial pension when she reaches retirement age and decides to stop work, if she becomes a British citizen?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 3 years ago.
Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

Yes, you are right. You will certainly have your wife's past contributions to National Insuranceand that would be counted pro-rata to form the basis of a partial pension when she reaches retirement age and decides to stop work, if she becomes a British citizen.

She will receive the benefits.

The following are some of the references which are quite informative.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/benefits-for-non-uk-nationals

https://www.gov.uk/contact-pension-service

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards