Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial Advisor
Experience:  Attorney and Financial Expert. Have specialization in Financial Laws.Practice experience of over 13 years
43581946

I paid my estimated electricity bills to British gas by direct

Customer Question

I paid my estimated electricity bills to British gas by direct debit years, they ignored my meter readings, after 2 years they sent me a bill for £15,000. They then ended my contract and charged me out of contract rates, so I now owe them £61,000.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 2 years ago.
Dear Friend,

and welcome. Thank you an opportunity to assist you.

Sorry to hear about this. You seem to be a victim of utter negligence and carelessness on part of the company. This behavior is unprofessional to say the list.

Having said this, you will need to adopt a hard nosed appraoch with them. To begin on a soft note, British Gas has elaborate complaint and redressal process. Begin with submitting a formal detailed complaint with them.

You will have more information about this on below links.

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and-advice/contactus-personal-details/complaints/gas-electricity.html

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and-advice/contactus-personal-details/complaints.html

If this does not help, send them a written communication asking them to attend to the issue within a stipulated time frame, say 15 days. Make very clear mention that upon their failure to respond, you will have no options left but to seek legal advice.

Note that you DO have a case again them and if you think fit, you can be more aggressive and send them across a legal notice from a local attorney if they do not respond.

I understand that this is bit lengthy and tedious process but such approach would be necessary to deal with hark-skinned companies.

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question,

Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you advice, I have already made a complaint and British Gas responded by ending my contract, charging me 'out of contract' rates and referring the case to a solicitor. I am being taken to court £61,000.00 that they say I owe them.

Dear Friend,

again. Thank you reply.

Yes, I understand this. This is the very reason that I said in my original reply that you need to adopt a hard nosed approach with them.

The only option you have is to have them serve a legal notice unprofessional and willfully negiligent conduct. This is the only way you will be able to deal with them.

Have them served a legal notice from a local attorney and also respond to all of their communications, if any. This will have you on a sound footing.

I am very sure you have a case agains them, and perhaps, claim compensation this as well.

Just get in touch with a local attorney and you will be on right track.

I am sure this would help.

Warm Regards,