Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial Advisor
Experience:  Attorney and Financial Expert. Have specialization in Financial Laws.Practice experience of over 13 years
43581946

My daughter has an American passport but left the usa at the

My daughter has an American passport but left the usa at the age of 9 in 1975 and has never worked there. Recently she was told by her bank in Scotland that she must give them a social security number. She told them she has never had a social security number, and to my knowledge she has not. Her bank then closed her account causing her to incur fines for various unpaid direct debits. I have usa citizenship but have never been asked by my bank for my ss number (although I did actually have one!) can you advise me about my daughter's situation?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 1 year ago.
Dear Friend, Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you. Usually, one must apply for the SS Number of your new born even before you leave hospital for home ! However, in most cases, what people do is to give information of the child's birth certificate and apply at local social security office. However, having said this, there are number of cases, just like yours that have NEVER obtained their SS Number. Coming to your case in specific, I cannot say WHY the bank in Scotland asked for your daughter's SS Number. Asking for it is the prerogative of the bank and a matter of their internal policy. Keeping that aside, what I would suggest you is to obtain a SS Number for your daughter. There are people who never obtain SS Number and apply for it at a very late age. The process is simple and you can do it just by supplying few basic documents to Social Security Office. The following document will guide you through the simple process and is meant for your general information. realsoftinc.com/RSI/file_downloads/ss-5.pdf If SS Number (absence of) is the only factor then its better to obtain one than struggle without it. I am sure this would help. I wish you good luck. You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question. Warm Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

RAKHI, Thank you for this helpful information. Looking at the application form I find a problem because my daughter was adopted by me when she was 8 years old, and has no official birth certificate. She was also legally adopted by my husband in the UK when she was 10. I note also via Wikipedia (which is not always accurate) that SS numbers were not issued for children before 1986 (my daughter was born in 1979, and we do not know her birth name).

Also I would be very reluctant to send original documents to the USA, especially as during the time taken for them to get there and be assessed, they well be needed back here in the UK.

Can a UK bank legally insist on a person supplying a Social Security Number?

Thanks,

Lyn

Dear Lyn,

I apologize for delayed response.

Before this, I was not aware that you had adopted your daughter and thereafter your husband legally adopted her as well in the UK. Before children born before 1986 SS numbers were not mandatory to clain dependents.

However, that being said, even if you are willing to obtain SS number, you do not have her birth certificate or any other birth document / hospital documents as well. Further, it is not feasible to send all the documents all the way to US.

Coming to your core question, whether banks can ask for Social Security Number or not depends upon many factors.

First, usually banks ask this for personal identification. It is NOT AT ALL mandatory. It is best adivsed to first reach out to bank in scotland and know as to WHY they are asking for SS Number. It is possible that they are asking because you might have mentioned that she is a US Citizen. Ask them as to WHY they need. IF they need it for any indentification see if you can provide them with another documents that relates to her present place of residence/ country.

Now, though it is not mandatory that banks should ask for SS Number, it still continues to remain their prerogative and a matter of internal policy. There is little we can do about them but to request them and find some way out with alternative documents.

I am sure this would help. I wish you good luck.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards,

Rakhi Vasavada, Financial Advisor
Experience: Attorney and Financial Expert. Have specialization in Financial Laws.Practice experience of over 13 years