Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial Advisor
Experience:  Attorney and Financial Expert. Have specialization in Financial Laws.Practice experience of over 13 years
43581946

I started a free PPI claim with a company that I was

I started a free PPI claim with a company that I was communicating with via email - Claims4You. The guy said it would be a free PPI search and he sent me the forms. However, somehow, another company who I had not been in contact with (ABC Claims) sent me some forms at exactly the same time and I did not realise they were not from the same company - I was expecting forms and just thought it was a division of Claims4U. These form explained that they would take 29.5% of any claims, which I thought was extortionate. I went into my email and saw the Claims4U guy had sent one to me asking if I had receIved the forms. I said yes, but was hesitating to fill them in as I did not agree with the fee. He emailed me back to say that it was a free service and all they would do is find out if there were any claims out there and I could then decide if I wanted to proceed with them or find another company to deal with it. Reassured by this, I signed the forms and sent them off. I then got a phone call from this other company, ABC asking the same details I had already given to the email guy, but I still did not get the fact that they were not the same company and promptly answered all the questions. Nothing happened for a while, then I got an answer-phone message from Amy at ABC Claims saying they had heard from Barclays and wanted to discuss it with me, I tried phoning back and left around 3no messages but heard nothing more. Then a week or so later I got more claims forms through the post from the guy I had been dealing with over the email. I then realised that something was not right and again tried to phone ABC but got no answer. I received a letter from Barclays saying they had received my complaint and were looking into it and then suddenly out of the blue last Friday Barclays deposited over £6000 into my account with a reference PPI refund and interest. ABC Claims phoned me today saying I have to pay them 29.5% of this amount as I signed the papers to agree to this. I feel I have been duped/conned or even scammed somehow and wondered if there is anything I can do. I would never have agreed to give over this percentage in fees, but only did so after the reassuring email. When I explained to ABC they just said I signed it and owe them and if I did not pay they would go through debt collection, etc, etc. What, if anything, can I do?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 12 months ago.

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

I am sorry to hear this but this is nothing new. Scores of people are dealt with in this manner by such companies.

Now, coming to your situation in specific, from what I understand all you have given is just the papers / information and at no point of time you have agreed to such 29.5% of fees, verbally or in writing.

I would suggest you to just send them a written / certified letter stating that though you approached them with matter related to PPI Claim, at no point you had given your consent to this amount of fee. Tell them in writing in no unclear terms that you will have to seek legal advice if they keep coming after you for such high fees.

To prove your honest intentions, offer them to pay fees which YOU seem are legitimate and proper.

I am sure this will solve your problem. They will not like the matter to take a legal turn and will surely walk your dotted lines.

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards,

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
HiThey are sending me back the form I signed and they said that I signed to accept their fees, so as far as they are concerned, I have accepted it in writing, how does this affect it?
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 11 months ago.

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome again. Thank you for your reply.

Sorry for delayed response from my side as I was travelling today.

Coming to your point, NO -- your signing the form will NOT affect it. It would affect you only if you have signed the form that says that you accept the fees. Merely signing the forms with your details does not affect or imply that you have accepted the fees until the fees are expressly mentioned in the form that you have signed.

You may go ahead with what I suggested in my earlier reply.

I am sure this would help.

Warm Regards,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
HiI believe the fee was mentioned on the form I signed which is why I emailed the guy I was dealing with to say I did not agree to the fee. The issue here is that the first firm I was dealing with were offering a free PPI search, whereas I believe the second firm, were offering the full service. I signed the form believing it was from the first company, so you see I made a genuine mistake thinking the form that arrived as an unsolicited mail shot was from the company I was expecting to receive forms from. I have the email trail that shows I queried the fee and shows the response that prompted me to sign the form thinking I still had options to go elsewhere with my claim.

Dear Friend,

Even then, its perfectly fine. You will have no problems contesting fine in the two scenarios - One, if you have signed the form wherein it DOES NOT contain any mention of fees; and Two - even if the form that you have signed mentions the fee, you have specifically mentioned / emailed the guy you were dealing with that you do NOT agree to the fees quoted.

Either of the scenario puts you in good situation. I believe, try out by writing to them as I suggested in the original reply. Following which, you may seek a legal opinion from a local attorney. However, I feel, if you act as per my first original reply, your problem will be solved to the larger extent.

I am sure this would help.

Warm Regards,

Rakhi Vasavada, Financial Advisor
Experience: Attorney and Financial Expert. Have specialization in Financial Laws.Practice experience of over 13 years