Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

I am a british citizen and I live in the US. I am years old

Customer Question

I am a british citizen and I live in the US. I am 69 years old and I draw US social security money. I moved to the US with my husband in 1986. Prior to that I worked in London since age 17. In 1982 Margaret Thatcher gave me a choice (and others during the time) to take some of my retirement in one lump sum and I did at that time. I am now filing for my remaining pension online. I am concerned of two things.
(1): Will my american pension reduce how much that I get from England?
(2): Is there a strategy as to how I file for my UK pension?Thanks
Category: Finance
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 2 months ago.

The UK state pension is based on contributions made by you and your employer whilst you worked. The amount it is not affected by any other income that you may have from any other source.

Because your state pension entitlement depends entirely on contributions made and the period for which they were made there is no strategy required insofar as there is nothing beneficial or detrimental you can add or do that will affect the amount.

I hope this helps. If there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond.

Kindly either accept or rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes

Michael