Matthew
Matthew, Technician
Experience:  20+ years in Electronics, Mechanical, Service, Repair, Customer Service, Quality Control, Document Control, and Maintenance w/ 10+ in fitness equipment. All brands/models
47752502

Hello, I have a problem with my Proform ZLT 1010. Whenever

Customer Question

I have a problem with my Proform ZLT 1010.

Whenever it is switched on it immediately blows the trip in the consumer unit in the garage - something seems to be shorting somewhere.

any ideas?

Thanks,
Ivan
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Matthew replied 3 years ago.
Hello-

I'd be happy to help you, but if it's ok, I'd like to get more information from you.

Is the treadmill new?

If it is older, can you tell me if it has worked in the garage before?

Have you attempted to test it in the house before?

Does it trip the breaker as soon as you plug it in/turn on the power, or when you press start so that the belt starts turning?

Has this ever happened before?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi - i purchased it second hand - its about 2 years old.

I have been using in the garage for about 5 months now with no issues.

My wife was simply walking at 6kph on a slight incline when it just shut down - she heard a bang but I think that was just the sound of the consumer unit trip going.

Now it just blows the trip when the power is turned on - we never get as far as trying to start the motor.

Hope that helps,

Ivan

Expert:  Matthew replied 3 years ago.
Hi-

Thank you for your information. From what you have described, it does sound like due to time, wear, and stress on the electronics, the motor controller board has a component that has been damaged.

If you were still able to run it, and it shut down during use, I'd conclude that it is a wear issue amongst other things. But since you can not even get it to move, you definitely have a short.

A short is basically the cause of electricity going into the machine, stopping somewhere along the line (not making it throughout the whole machine), and coming back to the outlet.

The only place that this could happen, along with a "pop" that your wife heard seems to be at a damaged component in the controller board (near the motor). The electricity goes into the board, reaches the damaged component, bounces back into the outlet, and trips the breaker.

I'm sorry to say, but you will need to replace the controller board (item 72 of your owner's manual)to get it going again. Then you may have to lubricate your deck and belt (or possibly replace both) to prevent it from happening again. I'd be happy to help you with the procedure on that as well.

Depending on your warranty situation (which may not be applicable), the controller may be costly.

Here is the information for you to call or email them to find out what the cost would be.

Proform UK
Call: 08457 089 009

Website: www.iconsupport.eu
E-mail: [email protected]

Please let me know how it goes.