treadmillguru
treadmillguru, Technician
Experience:  Skilled fitness gym equipment service engineer with 17 years experience of service & repair.
53710374

XXXXX XXXXX ctmoo3 treadmill, stopped working, came on intermittently

XXXXX XXXXX ctmoo3 treadmill, stopped working, came on intermittently for 30secs at first, now dead apart from constant flickering on the screen, very faint, fan works ok,
can you help please ?
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  treadmillguru replied 2 years ago.

treadmillguru :

treadmillguru :

this sounds like a fault in the data cable between the bottom motor control circuit board and the console. Its a very unusual fault but i would check the connection into the console by removing the back plastic case and check all connections while the machine is turned off. then come back to me to let me know the outcome

Customer:

Customer:

I have checked the consol cable which runs internally up one of the console supports. The fan has always worked as it is in the consol but controlled by a separate switch

treadmillguru :

Hi fan normally just runs off a 12volt supply so will normally run. But have you checked the stop key? The safety key will be magnetic or a micro switch. If it was failing it would explain why it worked intermittently not no power to console. Do you know how to use a multi meter? I can talk you through how to check the switch. Consoles don't fail often so I would check this first.

Customer:

Give me one moment please.

treadmillguru :

no problems

Customer:

Customer:

I do know how to use a multimeter and have one

treadmillguru :

well if you take the back of the console off (while machine is turned off) you will see the two cables for the safety key (magnetic or microswitch) going into the circuit board. If you set your multimeter to resistance you can check for continuity on the switch to see if it working ok.

Customer:

ok will take 15 mins, be back to you

treadmillguru :

no probs ill be here,

Customer:

switch measures infinity with magnetic catch removed, 0.6 ohm with catch in place, all the time the treadmill is energised the screen is flickering very faintly, flicker rate very rapid

treadmillguru :

strange one, sounds like the console is faulty

treadmillguru :

did you buy it new?

treadmillguru :

and where are you based?

Customer:

yes can you get spare parts

treadmillguru :

yeh argos supply the parts for it as long as you have the receipt.

Customer:

Glasgow Scotland

treadmillguru :

could still be an issue with the bottom control board pulsing power to the console but that would be very rare. normally they are pretty much digital and work or dont

Customer:

we did not buy it from argos will they still supply?

treadmillguru :

im in ayrshire, just thinking that it would be worth swapping the mcb just to remove that possibility before ordering a console.

treadmillguru :

Are you able to take a pic of the motor control board as I have a number in my van and could drop one off to you to try it out

Customer:

do you repair these devices, we are actually in East Kilbride

treadmillguru :

yeh im a treadmill engineer www.fitness-repair.co.uk

treadmillguru :

i cover east kilbride a lot so would be happy to help

treadmillguru :

they are good treadmills just seems like an unusual fault

Customer:

OK how much do you charge and when could you do it, treadmill is stripped down at present

treadmillguru :

Normal is a fixed cost of £75 including up to two return visits with no labour costs etc. I could do it tomorrow as im in the area and do it for £50 plus any parts costs. I have boards in the van.

Customer:

Agreed, morning or afternoon or ring XXXXXXXXXXX 07900495666 approx. 30 mins before arrival

treadmillguru :

morning if thats ok? Whats your address and no probs on calling before.

treadmillguru :

say 10-11am?

treadmillguru :

my name is XXXXX XXXXX contact number is XXXXX

Customer:

Shall I call you now to give you the address?

treadmillguru :

yeh go for it

treadmillguru, Technician
Experience: Skilled fitness gym equipment service engineer with 17 years experience of service & repair.