Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a 2010 Ford SMAX 2.0 Titanium TDCI and I recently noticed

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Ford SMAX 2.0 Titanium TDCI and I recently noticed a problem starting the engine. Until recently it started first time every time, but now it will occasionally take 10-15 cranks to get started. The problem is intermittent. The car has been back to the Ford dealer twice, but they can't detect a fault in the management system, neither could they replicate the fault while they had the car. Other than starting I've not noticed any other problems with the car. I've seen various posts on Ford owner's club etc. about dual mass clutch problems (not sure how this affects the car when starting in neutral), but if no fault is recorded in the on-board computer, how do I get Ford to fix it (the car is still under warranty so I'm keen to get it sorted).
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks,
Mike
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there mike ,good morning to you

Hi there , Steve , good morning to you

Ok From your description of your issue eg intermitent crank /no fire situation (and pull no fault codes )
I would suspect a sticking intake air shut off valve
This is also known as a throttle body (this is bolted to the inlet manifold by 4x40mm torx bolts )

The issues we see are exactly what you describe

Basically there is a butterfly flap located inside this housing
This valve is used to stop engine run on

When you switch the engine off a vacuum is applied to the butterfly flap to stop any air being drawn into the engine this preventing run on

After around 10 seconds the vacuum will disperse and the flap will flick back open ready for The next start up

What happens is the butterfly flap sticks in The closed position caused mostly from carbon build up and doesnt flick back open
Meaning the next time you go to start the vehicle it will crank and not fire(as no air is getting into the engine
untill this flap frees off usally after several attempts of cranking the vibrations free it off And the vehicle starts

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know 
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice day

Brian

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brian,

Thanks for your answer, it makes sense to me and certainly fits whats happening on my car. I need to get my Ford dealer to fix the problem so even without any codes being recorded in the computer if I pass this info on to them I'm assuming they should be able to investigate it?

Regards,

Mike

Hi there mike thanks for replying

Ok yes they should be able to rectify this fault given this information
With the exact fault you have this is always the first port of call and the most common and likely fault
As your fault is intermitent most technicians don't want to make a descision as the fault is not present when they have tested the vehicle
But in my experience this will be the issue

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue mike please let me know 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 

Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brian,

I took the SMAX into the Ford dealer on Friday and the problem is exactley as you suggested, it needs a new throttle body as the air shut-off valve is sticking. Many thanks for your help, money well spent!

Regards,

Mike

Hi there Mike ,good evening to you

Iam glad my advice helped you resolve this intermitent fault

If you ever need any future help or advice or technical assistance with your vehicle
please Let me know
Kind regards and have a nice evening

Brian