Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Our Ford Fiesta has a problem where the cooling fan wont stop

Customer Question

Our Ford Fiesta has a problem where the cooling fan won't stop running when you turn the car off and it drains the battery. Took it to a garage and they tested the relay and the temp sensor and not sure what the problem is. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there , good afternoon to you

Ok what engine is fitted to your vehicle 1.6tdci

Does the fan run until the battery is flat

Regards Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All I know about the engine is that it is 1.6

Yeah, fan runs till battery is completely flat.

Regards Sam

Hi there Sam

Ok I suspect it will be the 1.6 TDCI Varient

Ok the fault lies with the cooling fan relay
Ford have released a broadcast message advising a new more robust colling fan relay to resolve this issue
As the old level relay is sticking on causing the fan to run constantly

Your local ford parts department will be able to supply you with this relay

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know 
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice Evening

Brian

Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it isn't the relay is there anything else it may be?

Our garage we have taken it to did test that and didn't see an obvious fault which is why they suggested changing the sensor.

Will see about getting the relay changed, but I'm worried about if it doesn't work how much more will things cost as it was suggested we may need an auto electrician to look at it (for over £100 per hour).

Also on a side note it wouldn't have anything to do with side lights needing replacing more frequently would it? As have had to change them a couple of times last year. Prob unrealated but figured best to mention just in case.

Hi there ,

Ok if the engine is a 1.6 diesel TDCI then the relay will be the issue this is a common occurance this why Thr broadcast message was released by for advising a more robust /modified relay be fitted

This will have nothing to do with bulbs blowing

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice evening

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you.

Hopefully that will sort out the problem, and hopefully shouldn't cost too much.

Didn't think the bulbs would be related but figured best to check. Would of been weird if they were, but husbands family seem to always get weird car problems that no one can solve lol.

Thank you for your help :)

No worries

I would go down the relay route first as they are only a few pounds
And are very common on the 1.6tdci for sticking on

Regards Brian